Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Catching up on my book reviews

Ok, I'm a bit behind on my book reviews for the Once Upon A Time Challenge. It's not that I'm not reading my challenge books, I'm just behind in writing the reviews. One of the best things about doing this challenge is all the new Authors that I have been introduced to, which leads to more books to read, which pushes back the review process. So I babble away about writing the reviews....instead of writing them.

I'll stop that now.

My book choices:
Mythology:
1. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
I loved this book. It was dark, with vivid details that kept you hooked. I was such a different style from Stardust. I really enjoyed the duality of the god's natures. Fascinating.

Folklore:
1. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (I'm waiting on the Library for this one)
Fairytale:
1. Stardust by Neil Gaiman (I posted a review of this one)
2. Widdershins by Charles de Lint - I substituted Fortune's Fool by Mercedes Lackey (I posted a review)
3. Tithe by Holly Black (I posted a review of this one)
4. The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale I read the Princess Academy instead. It was a lovely fairytale story for younger readers. I enjoyed the simplicity of the storyline. I liked the message of believe in yourself, you can do more that you think you can. I think kids need to hear that message alot, especially girls.
5. Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan (I posted a review of this one)
Fantasy:
1. Ombria in Shadow by Patricia A. McKillip I substituted The Strange Adventures of Ranger Girl by Tim Pratt It was a Wild West elemental god vs. Coffee Shop Girl. It was quirky and fun. I really enjoyed the wild west aspects of the book. It was so different than the current trend of Fairies, vampires and werewolves in Fantasy books. The book is not a western, it just uses the west as a back drop. I'm looking forward to more book by Tim Pratt.
2. Eldest by Christopher Paolini (I posted a review of this one)
3. Greywalker by Kat Richardson Another book I really enjoyed. I've put the 2nd book on order at the library. It sort of reminds me of the Anita Blake novels, without being "naughty". There is something about the way she struggles against her fate that interests me.
4. Something Rotten by Jasper Fford I hate to say it, but I didn't care for this one very much. I've read the others in the series, but this one lacked the fun of the other book.

Tonight I am planning on digging up my old Riverside Shakespear Book, from college and rereading A Midsummers Night's Dream. I love that play. I've always wanted to perform in that play.

3 comments:

Ana S. said...

I love Tim Pratt's short stories, but I have yet to read one of his novels. It's good to read a positive review!

mormar said...

This is fun to see these. It gives me a good idea of which ones i would like.

Carl V. Anderson said...

So, it looks like you completed the challenge? If you have, make sure to let me know on my site or via email if you want to be included in the various contests. And make sure and post a link to your Gaiman review at the review site so that you can get entered into that drawing as well!

Glad you enjoyed American Gods, it is an amazing book.

I've only read the first two Thursday Next novels, and I find it interesting that sooo many people have expressed the same feelings about the Something Rotten that you have.