Monday, February 04, 2008

Sadness

Zalebaby's mother passed away early Sunday morning. This was not unexpected as she had cancer and when we saw her over Christmas, she was on a downward spiral. He got the call last week that he needed to come home, so he left here Friday afternoon and did the 14 hour drive to Upstate New York. He spent Saturday with her, talking to her and making her laugh. He feels good about that. Zalebaby loves to be the funny man.

What he is not so happy about is having to be the strong one and handle all the details. He is the only one of the 4 kids that doesn't live in that podunk town. He's the only one to escape from their trailer-trash lifestyle. Believe me, they could keep Jerry Springer show going for a month. That includes his mother's husband, never to be confused with his Dad. So all the stuff that should have been taken care of long before his Mom got this bad, never got taken care of. Or even talked about. So guess who got stuck with it? I wish I was there to comfort Zalebaby, but a small part of me is really glad I'm not. I couldn't be nice to most of his family. I lost my father to cancer 12 years ago and they way his mother (and the rest of the family) handled everything makes me angry to tears.

She didn't have to die this way. She had Colon cancer and if she'd gone to the doctor at the first sign of trouble, she could have beat it. Instead, she waited until her bowels shut down then went to the doctor. At that point, she still had a good chance of beating it. She was given chemo pills, but stopped taking them because they made her sick. The whole thing just makes me so mad. My Dad didn't have a chance against the cancer and she throws it all away.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I think your feelings of frustration and anger are completely normal. Why would anyone throw away the chance to live?

Dice said...

Hugs!!!!

Elli said...

Our condolences to you and Dle.
Let us know if we can do anything, so sorry :(