Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Midsummer Night's Dream review...sort of.


The last part of my Once Upon A Time Challenge is to read Midsummer Night's Dream. Midsummer Night's Dream is my hands down favorite Shakespeare play. I've seen it performed at least 20 time if I've seen it once. Sometimes it's good, other times it is horrible. One of the things that makes the difference is whether or not the actors understand what they are saying. Don't laugh. You'd be amazed at how many times I've seen the play where it was obvious that the actor didn't get the meaning, the sense of the lines. So I thought I'd share my favorite monologue with you.....and what I think the meaning is.....



To Paraphrase, nay to sum up:

I'm happy for Hermia, but I'm pretty too! Why won't Demetrius see that anymore? He use to love me, now he loves Hermia! I love him, all his faults are charming to me. He is acting like a child, making promises then denying them. I will tell him of Hermia's plan, even though I am betraying my best friend, just to try to get him to see me again, hopefully to love me again.

To me, that is what Helena is trying to say. This monologue was one of my favorite audition pieces. Even if Helena is a whiny little pain in the ass.

3 comments:

Have the T-shirt said...

It's my fav too! I saw one totally awesome rendition of it on a quaint little stage here.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I love it too. My favorite is Much Ado About Nothing, but not by much. I've only seen it, Dream, performed a handful of times but thankfully never a bad performance. My first exposure to it was the Royal Shakespeare Company performing it on Broadway! Needless to say that was pretty memorable!

Carrie said...

ooh! I'd love to have seen that! The costumes alone must have been wonderful!